March 6th, 2020 | Senior Health
March Madness may be cancelled but that’s not preventing us from enjoying Legend Senior Living’s 15th Annual March Mayhem Basketball Tournament!
March Mayhem is Legend Senior Living’s own “Basketball Tournament of Champions” where residents from each Legend Senior Living community across the country compete against each other in our annual basketball tournament. The Life Enrichment Department at each community Head up this event creating teams, team names, uniforms, mascots, cheerleaders and practices.
After each quarter, scores are recorded are sent to the home office to be tallied and reported back to the communities and posted on Facebook for our online audience to follow along.
This year’s tournament is scheduled to Tip-off on Friday, March 20 at 11am EST/ 10AM CST. Check out the rules below and we hope you can check in on Facebook, cheering on your loved ones as they compete for 1st place in the 15th Annual March Mayhem Basketball Tournament of Champions!
There are two divisions within each region: Memory Care | Assisted Living
- Communities may have a maximum of one Assisted Living Team and one Memory Care team for two teams total. Two teams are not required.
- Teams must be made up of current residents only and may have a maximum of ten
- players on the court at one time. Substitutions are encouraged at rest periods to allow for more residents to participate.
- The players are to be seated in a circle approximately 12-feet in diameter, with the basket centered in the circle.
- The basket should be no more than 21.5-inches in diameter.
- All players must be approximately 6-feet from the basket positioned outside of the circle. This dimension is from the edge of the basket to the front of the chairs. This circle chair distance must be marked with tape and maintained for the entire game.
- There will be only one ball used by each team.
- Players shoot by tossing or bouncing the ball into the basket.
- The ball should be passed around the circle from left to right with each player being allowed one shot per turn at the basket.
- A team may shoot as many times as possible during each quarter, but must always play from left to right and with each player getting at least one shot each round.
- When the quarter ends, begin with the next resident at the start of the next quarter.
- Each basket is worth 2 points.
- Only one associate may assist the team and only when the ball is out of the circle or out of the reach of the players.
- No associate may act as a backboard/blocker/rebounder for the players.
- The Life Enrichment Coordinator is the Official Referee and will make all official calls.
- The Residence Director is the Official Scorekeeper.
- The Health Care Coordinator is the Official Ball Retriever.
- Winners for each regional division will be announced at the end of the 4th quarter.
- 1st Place 1st Place Certificate; 1st Place Medallions for all players
- 2nd Place 2nd Place Certificate; 2nd Place Medallions for all players
- 3rd Place 3rd Place Certificate; 3rd Place Medallions for all players
- All Teams Honorable Mention Certificate for all participating teams
- Best Team Name Best Name Certificate